In a surprise upset of 21st century know-how norms, Oak Ridge National Laboratory has made a laptop or computer that is, in fact, pretty substantial. The Frontier supercomputer is far too huge to in shape in a pocket or a backpack, like present-day most well known desktops, and it is also as well big to in good shape in a mid-tower Computer scenario, which can easily keep an RTX 3090. How considerably more substantial could a computer really want to be?
Considerably more substantial, insists Oak Ridge Nationwide Laboratory. ORNL’s Frontier (opens in new tab) has been heralded as the “very first true exascale equipment,” location a record for overall performance of 1.02 exaflops for every next on a significant-functionality benchmark. An exaflop is just one quintillion floating issue operations per second, and if you’re not positive how massive a quintillion is, it truly is a million million thousands and thousands, aka a billion billions. NASA estimates that the Milky Way is 1 quintillion kilometers throughout.
So, rather large.
Frontier established the exaflop document employing AMD’s 64-core 2GHz Epyc processors, which you can buy by yourself for only $8,000 or so. But you’ll want a couple of of them, due to the fact the Frontier has a complete of 8,730,112 cores.
That’s 136,408 AMD Epyc processors. This computer is unfashionably big: it will not healthy below your desk, or even in your home except you knock down several walls or have a significantly larger household than I do.
The Frontier supercomputer is also remarkably productive inspite of filling up various server banks, each and every even bigger than Andre the Huge. Frontier is now #1 on the Leading 500 supercomputer list and the Eco-friendly 500, which prices for functionality per watt.
Right here are some a lot more large numbers:
- Frontier can take up 7,300 sq. ft.
- Frontier circulates about 6,000 gallons of drinking water for each moment to stay interesting.
- Frontier “presently has obtained 1.102 Exaflop/s using 8,730,112 cores. The new HPE Cray EX architecture combines 3rd Gen AMD Epyc CPUs optimized for HPC and AI with AMD Intuition 250X accelerators and Slingshot-11 interconnect.”
- “This process is in a position to generate a whopping 1.102 Exaflop/s HPL benchmark rating though holding its electric power effectiveness at 55.23 gigaflops/watt”
- “The method to assert the No. 1 spot for the Green 500 is the Frontier Examination & Progress Process (TDS). With 120,832 total cores and an HPL benchmark of 19.2 PFlop/s, the Frontier TDS equipment is basically just just one rack similar to the precise Frontier method. Therefore, it helps make perception that it is outmatched by Frontier’s 7,733,248 cores and HPL benchmark of 1.102 Exaflop/s. Nevertheless, Frontier TDS has some amazing performance abilities, with a energy efficiency of 62.8 gigaflops/watt.”
- Andre the Large was 7 ft, 4 inches tall and weighed 520 lbs .. Square footage unknown.